Please note the requirement for every team to provide referees for the league pool (usually two, except in the case of student or junior teams). When you submit your league entry, you will either need to name the appropriate qualified referees or commit to sending members on the course.
We plan to run a Level 2 course in September. The venue for this depends upon local demand.
We currently have 6 potential candidates. If there are insufficient local candidates, we shall run a course in conjunction with W.E.B.B.A., which will mean that one of the two days would be held in Bristol.
If you need to send people on the course, please let Paul Christensen know, so that we can take that into account in deciding whether we can “go it alone” with a course based totally in Gloucestershire.
Naturally, it would be even better if you know of anyone who is highly motivated to referee, without the requirement to represent their club on the list! Young potential officials are particularly welcome: we had several young referees on last year’s course, who have progressed to refereeing at a higher level.
It was identified that table officiating is a cause for concern at some venues. The aim should be to have regular table officials, and their competence to be more assured. GBBA will be putting into place four actions to support and encourage the development of table officiating and higher overall standards:
- We will run a Level 2 Table Officials’ course which will be free of charge.
- For the 2015-16 the expectation is that at least one table official at each game should be qualified.
- We will arrange mentors to attend games and support table officials "on the job”
- The rule allowing players to take turns on the table each quarter during a game has been removed. Each game must have two dedicated table officials, who must remain in their roles throughout the game.
Clubs have the most important role in this and we suggest that they should:
- try to recruit a regular pair of officials
- encourage any that are not already qualified, to join the course
- ensure that they have a full set of table equipment in good order for the start of next season
- consider paying their officials a fee and/or expenses for doing the job well.
|End of News For July, 2014
© GBBA 2014, All rights Reserved